Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The 'Big Blue Pill' . . . ARGHHHH! It might not be working!

Running around to meetings and so forth, I couldn't stop to notice every second of today all this anxiety that is churning inside my gut because I go to the doctors tomorrow to get blood results which may show that my body is resistant to the current HIV medication for which I have been prescribed.

For those of you not familiar with HIV medications or the terms used, here is a little bit about my prescribed medication with inclusive links to help educate you.

Currently, I take 2 antiretroviral drugs everyday.  I take 3 pills (1 Truvada, 2 Kaletra) in the a.m. and 2 pills (Kaletra) in the p.m (a total of 5 pills), as well as a myriad of other pills to prevent pneumonia and other complications. I have been on this medication since about June 11, and the initial side effects (which lasted about two weeks) were horrid including vomiting and diarrhea.

My viral load continues to be detectable after several blood work tests, so I recently had a resistance test, which will tell me if the medications are working or tell me if I have to start new medication. Keep your fingers crossed, because I can't imagine that starting a new medication combination (which is referred to as a cocktail) is going to be any more fun than the last.

I am Daniel and I am living pozitively.  Thank you for following my blog.

5 comments:

  1. I just got back from the Doctor's and was told that my viral load is decreasing, however, still detectable. At this time, I will be staying with the same medication combination for the next month, when at at that time another blood test will be taken to see what may need to happen. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take this with your pill (proalgazyme)you will go undetectable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cQAWNbN2WI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,

    I have heard about this, have you taken this? OR anyone reading this blog have experience with this stuff?? Would love some insight / feedback.

    Sincerely,
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey I am early diagnose and I am not on any medictaion so far. I don't know much about it.
    I thought when you start taking medication it is only one pill per day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous, Thanks for checking out my blog. With being newly diagnosed, your doctor will determine the best medication course for you to take - it could simply be one pill or in my case, it could be a few pills - a combination of medications. I would like to suggest you check out www.poziam.org - this is an AWESOME social network site for people living with HIV - it is FREE and I am a member - it's a great place to connect with other like yourself and to get lots of support. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following my blog and taking the time to leave a comment.